Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Operating Systems - Linux or Windows? Long Live UBUNTU!



As I am writing these phrases, a major computer wholesaler has decided to ship some of its new models with Linux Working System.

They have selected UBUNTU's 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" distribution of Linux. (Windows have OS releases or versions like XP or Vista; Linux has "distributions" like Fedora, Redhat, Ubuntu and many others.)

Go Linux!

A perfect alternative as a result of I've been utilizing UBUNTU on one in all my machines for over a 12 months now and I've nothing but qualified reward for it.

Qualified? Yes. As a result of I cannot run any of my Windows utility (like Photoshop, Illustrator, FrameMaker, GoLive) on Ubuntu.

GIMP comes close to doing what Photoshop can do (not less than at my degree of graphic competence) but different Windows applications do not have their Linux-counterparts yet. There is nothing over the horizon, for example, to match the reliability and power of FrameMaker in a Linux environment.

So why do I still like my Ubuntu? Let me rely the methods:

1) It's FREE.

2) OpenOffice that comes with it is usually FREE and it could possibly match MS Workplace in every class, besides in mail management. (NOTE: You may obtain and use OpenOffice on Windows and Mac machines as well.)

3) No viruses. Period. I've not used any anti-virus programs or firewalls with my Ubuntu system yet. Knock on wood.

4) No system crashes. And once I crash my system (a rare event) whereas trying to open 10 completely different applications or recordsdata at the identical time, Ubuntu recovers beautifully, restoring every crashed file one after the other whenever you restart the system.

5) Auto updates... whenever you click on this nice little "you will have updates" button on top of the screen, UBUNTU routinely downloads (after your approval of each merchandise) whatever updates are developed by exhausting-working Linux volunteers across the globe.

6) An ever-growing assortment of free, new and attention-grabbing software available for fast downloads by means of Synaptic Package Manager. (For instance, it is free CHESS program - one of many tons of of Linux video games available online without spending a dime - is one of the greatest I've ever played against.)

I do all my writing, for example, on my Linux machine. Since OpenOffice additionally has a free PDF conversion utility constructed proper into its word processor, I am writing my new e-book ("Copyright-Free Content material for Your Newsletters") additionally on my Linux machine. (YES - you need not purchase Adobe Acrobat Pro to generate PDFs!)

One shortcoming of "Feisty Fawn" distribution - its vitality-saving screen- and machine-sleep modes aren't perfect and do not work well. When the machine goes to sleep after a sure configurable length of time, it shuts itself off because it tries to revive itself. In the event you get Ubuntu 7.04, don't use that vitality-saving option. I hope they'll fix that pesky problem as properly in a future release.

This post is written by Samuel Jones 24. You can hire efficient virtual assistant at Myoutdesk.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment